• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home TOP NEWS

HC quashes September 2009 select-list of drug inspectors

Rashid Paul by Rashid Paul
October 30, 2021
in TOP NEWS
A A
0
HC seeks details of officials involved in Handwara Water Supply scam
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: Observing that priority has arbitrarily been given to some of the candidates by J&K Services Selection Board (SSB) in selection for 72 posts of drug inspectors in 2009, the High Court Friday quashed the entire select list and directed the agency to conduct interviews afresh.

Hearing a bunch of appeals against the SSB’s controversial selection list, Chief Justice Pankaj Mithal and Vinod Chatterji Koul besides passing certain advices directed “the select list published by the Board on 8th September 2009 stands quashed”.

More News

CM Abdullah pledges time-bound recruitment

LG calls for establishing India as ultimate sanctuary of knowledge, intellectual wealth

Govt orders several transfers, postings

Load More

Since the matter had been subjudice for years and the selected candidates are working against the posts, the two judge bench also pin-pointed certain loopholes in the 2015 judgment passed in favor of the selected candidates.

The court this time put the Board at liberty to constitute a Selection Committee to conduct fresh interviews of all the candidates who had appeared before “but in accordance with law for selection against the posts advertised”.

The bench made it clear that no post or vacancy which had not been advertised by the aforesaid advertisement will be filled up by the said selection process.

It directed the SSB that the fresh selections exercise “if undertaken” shall be completed within a period of six months.

To avoid any “administrative problem”, it directed “the selected candidates appointed be permitted to continue” till the fresh selection is complete.

Select-list published on September 08, 2009, recommending 64 candidates for appointment as Drug Inspectors, came to be challenged in a number of writ petitions. The court decided the petitions vide a 2015 judgment with certain observations and directions.

In relation to arbitrary manner of selection, the single judge bench said that it cannot step into shoes of the Selection Committee.

The judge found that final award roll as to performance of candidates in viva-voce and points secured on the basis of merit in eligibility, qualification and the abilities warranting extra weight was not signed by members of the Selection Committee.

The judge also found “extra weightage has been given to some of candidates who did not have post-graduate degree in Pharmacy, Medicine to their credit”.

He cited the case of candidate Pankaj Malhotra, who did not append M-Pharmacy certificate to his application. But the Selection Committee concluded that Malhotra had post-graduate degree in Pharmacy and awarded 7.7 marks to him for it.

On the other hand, one Rumaisa Mohammad was deprived of any credit for her post-graduate gegree in Pharmacy.

The judge concluded that extra weight-age has been given where it was not warranted.

He, however, directed “the selected and appointed candidates (private respondents in the case)  have been serving the department as Drug Inspectors for last seven years and there is no dispute as regards their eligibility to the advertized post”.

The official respondents, he directed “may retain private respondents and their other selected/appointed colleagues and shall accord consideration to appointment of petitioners in three writ petitions admittedly satisfying the eligibility criteria, against available clear vacancies of drug inspectors”.

The exercise was directed to be completed within four weeks.

The judge also directed “in case, the consideration to appointment of petitioners as directed is not possible, because of non-availability of the posts, the select-list published by respondent and appointment made pursuant thereto shall stand quashed and set aside”.

“The writ court could not have saved the selection of the candidates merely for the reason that they have now been serving in the department for last seven years and they are qualified to hold the post,” Chief Justice Pankaj Mithal said.

Previous Post

Told Pakistan action against terrorism will be taken on their side of border if needed: Rajnath

Next Post

Slight rise in night temp across Kashmir

Rashid Paul

Rashid Paul

Rashid Paul is  Associate Editor at Kashmir Images. He can be reached at rashidpaul@gmail.com

Related Posts

CM Abdullah pledges time-bound recruitment

CM Abdullah pledges time-bound recruitment
February 21, 2026

Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday reiterated that his government is committed to filling vacancies in a time-bound manner,...

Read moreDetails

LG calls for establishing India as ultimate sanctuary of knowledge, intellectual wealth

LG calls for establishing India as ultimate sanctuary of knowledge, intellectual wealth
February 21, 2026

Jammu: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Friday offered a threefold resolution for the future: “We must transform India into the...

Read moreDetails

Govt orders several transfers, postings

Govt orders transfers in administration 
February 21, 2026

Jammu: The Govt today ordered postings and transfers of several IAS and JKAS officers, vide Order No. 230-JK(GAD) of 2026...

Read moreDetails

Rahul Gandhi condemns ‘attacks’ on Kashmiris

Time to usher back era of people-centric governance across India: Rahul
February 21, 2026

New Delhi: Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi has condemned the alleged attacks on Kashmiri students and...

Read moreDetails

Include 50% import duty on apples, save J&K’s fruit industry: Mehbooba Mufti to PM

This moment in the Valley
February 21, 2026

Srinagar: Emphasising that the interim Indo-US trade deal would take a toll on the nation's farmers and fruit growers, PDP...

Read moreDetails

Post-2019, tourist footfall in J&K surged: Govt

Snow, rain lash Kashmir as mercury dips
February 21, 2026

Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government said that the Union Territory has witnessed a sharp surge in tourist arrivals in...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Partially frozen waters of Dal Lake present a perfect picture…

Slight rise in night temp across Kashmir

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.