• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

UN says Libyan sides sign countrywide cease-fire deal

AP/ PTI by AP/ PTI
October 24, 2020
in WORLD
A A
0
UN says Libyan sides sign countrywide cease-fire deal
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Geneva:  The United Nations said Friday that the two sides in Libyan military talks had reached a “historic achievement” with a permanent cease-fire agreement across the war-torn North African country.

After mediation this week led by U.N. envoy for Libya Stephanie Turco Williams, the 5+5 Joint Military Commission reached what the U.N. called an “important turning point towards peace and stability in Libya.” Details were not immediately available, but the two sides were taking part in a signing ceremony in Geneva on Friday morning.

More News

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

  Trump okays bill that could impose high tariffs on China, India for buying Russian oil: Senator

Load More

Libya is split between a U.N.-supported government in the capital, Tripoli, and rival authorities based in the east. The two sides are backed by an array of local militias as well as regional and foreign powers. The country was plunged into chaos after the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that toppled and killed longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi.

“The road to a permanent cease-fire deal was often long and difficult,” Williams said in a press conference in Geneva, noting that there remained a “great deal of work” to do in the coming weeks to implement the commitments. She expressed hope the agreement will succeed “in ending the suffering of Libyans and allowing those displaced by the conflict to return to their homes.”

“We have had enough suffering, enough bloodshed,” said Ali Abushahma, the head of the delegation and a field commander for the U.N.-supported administration in Tripoli. “We hope we will change the suffering on all the territories of Libya, especially in the south.” “I appeal to all Libya: Be one hand,” he said.

The meetings this week mark the fourth round of talks involving the Joint Military Commission under the watch of Williams, a former U.S. State Department official. The Geneva-based military talks come ahead of a political forum in Tunisia in November.         That forum aims to “generate consensus on a unified governance framework and arrangements that will lead to the holding of national elections,” the U.N. mission said.

On Wednesday, Williams had said the two warring factions agreed on issues that “directly impact the lives and welfare of the Libyan people,” citing agreements to open air and land routes in the country, to work to ease inflammatory rhetoric in Libyan media, and to help kickstart Libya’s vital oil industry.

Libya’s prized light crude has long featured in the North African country’s civil war, with rival militias and foreign powers jostling for control of Africa’s largest oil reserves.

Last month, the two sides reached preliminary agreements to exchange prisoners and open up air and land transit across the country’s divided territory. This breakthrough also accompanied the resumption of oil production after a months-long blockade by powerful tribes allied with army commander Khalifa Hifter.

Hifter’s forces launched an offensive in April 2019 to try and capture Tripoli, the seat of the U.N.-supported government in the west. But his campaign collapsed in June.

Fighting has since died down amid international pressure on both sides to avert an attack on the strategic city of Sirte, the gateway to Libya’s major oil export terminals.

Previous Post

Div Com reviews progress on ongoing development projects in Jammu

Next Post

COVID-19 to push 150-175 mn more people into extreme poverty: UN expert

AP/ PTI

AP/ PTI

Related Posts

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails

  Trump okays bill that could impose high tariffs on China, India for buying Russian oil: Senator

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
January 8, 2026

New York/Washington:  US President Donald Trump has "greenlit" a sanctions bill that could impose 500 per cent tariffs on countries...

Read moreDetails

We are all thinking of you: New York City Mayor Mamdani writes a note for activist Umar Khalid

NC & PDP hail Zohran Mamdani’s victory in New York City mayoral poll
January 2, 2026

New York: New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani has written a note for activist Umar Khalid, recalling his words on...

Read moreDetails

Trump signs into law defence policy bill backing deeper engagement with India including via Quad

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
December 19, 2025

New York/Washington:  US President Donald Trump has signed into law an annual defence policy bill that highlights broadening America's engagement...

Read moreDetails

Bangladesh’s interim govt urges India to extradite Sheikh Hasina, her aide

Ahead of polls, Hasina announces to build 560 model mosques, Islamic university in B’desh
November 17, 2025

Dhaka: Bangladesh's interim government on Monday urged India to immediately extradite deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina and her former home...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
COVID-19 to push 150-175 mn more people into extreme poverty: UN expert

COVID-19 to push 150-175 mn more people into extreme poverty: UN expert

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.