• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

Libya’s government announces cease-fire, calls for elections

AFP/ PTI by AFP/ PTI
August 22, 2020
in WORLD
A A
0
Libya’s government announces cease-fire, calls for elections
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Cairo:  Libya’s U.N.-supported government Friday announced a cease-fire across the oil-rich country and called for demilitarizing the strategic city of Sirte, which is controlled by rival forces.

In a separate statement Aguila Saleh, speaker of the rival east-based House of Representatives, also called for a cease-fire. The announcements came amid fears of an escalation in the more than 9-year-old conflict.

More News

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

  Trump okays bill that could impose high tariffs on China, India for buying Russian oil: Senator

Load More

Fayez Sarraj, head of the Government of National Accord in the capital, also announced parliamentary and presidential elections would be held in March.

Both administrations said they want an end to an oil blockade imposed by the camp of military commander Khalifa Hifter since earlier this year. Hifter is an ally to the parliament speaker.

They also called for oil revenues, the country’s main source of revenue, to flow into the bank account of the National Oil Corporation outside Libya.

Powerful tribes in eastern Libya loyal to Hifter closed oil export terminals and choked off major pipelines at the start of the year in an effort to pressure the Tripoli-based government.

The developments come amid international pressure on both sides and fears of a new escalation in the chaotic proxy war, as the rivals mobilize for a battle over Sirte, the gateway to the country’s major oil export terminals.

Both statements called for demilitarizing the city of Sirte and the Jufra area in central Libya, and for a joint police force to be responsible for security there.

There was no immediate comment form Hifter’s army, but Hifter agreed on an Egyptian initiative in June that included a cease-fire.

The U.N. support mission in Libya welcomed both statements and called for the expulsion of all foreign forces and mercenaries in Libya. Both sides of the conflict are supported by thousands of mercenaries.

“The two initiatives have created hope for forging a peaceful political solution to the longstanding Libyan crisis, a solution that will affirm the desire of the Libyan people to lie in peace and dignity,” said Stephanie Williams, acting head of the U.N. mission .

Libya was plunged into chaos when a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 toppled longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi, who was later killed. The country has since split between rival east- and west-based administrations, each backed by armed groups and foreign governments.

Hifter’s forces launched an offensive in April 2019 to try and capture the Tripoli.                But his campaign collapsed in June when the Tripoli-allied militias, with Turkish support, gained the upper hand, driving his forces from the outskirts of Tripoli and other western towns.

The chaos in the oil-rich country has worsened in recent months as foreign backers increasingly intervene, despite pledges to the contrary at a high-profile peace summit in Berlin earlier this year.

Hifter is supported by Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Russia. Turkey, a bitter rival of Egypt and the U.A.E. in a broader regional struggle over political Islam, is the main patron of the Tripoli forces, which are also backed by the wealthy Gulf state of Qatar.

Hifter’s offensive on Tripoli deeply polarized the already divided country and aborted U.N. efforts to hold a peace conference more than a year ago.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sissi on Twitter welcomed both statements as “an important step on the path of achieving the political settlement.”

 

Previous Post

Allama Mashriqi and Indian Freedom Struggle

Next Post

Adhering strictly to the health guidelines…

AFP/ PTI

AFP/ PTI

Related Posts

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails

  Trump okays bill that could impose high tariffs on China, India for buying Russian oil: Senator

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
January 8, 2026

New York/Washington:  US President Donald Trump has "greenlit" a sanctions bill that could impose 500 per cent tariffs on countries...

Read moreDetails

We are all thinking of you: New York City Mayor Mamdani writes a note for activist Umar Khalid

NC & PDP hail Zohran Mamdani’s victory in New York City mayoral poll
January 2, 2026

New York: New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani has written a note for activist Umar Khalid, recalling his words on...

Read moreDetails

Trump signs into law defence policy bill backing deeper engagement with India including via Quad

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
December 19, 2025

New York/Washington:  US President Donald Trump has signed into law an annual defence policy bill that highlights broadening America's engagement...

Read moreDetails

Bangladesh’s interim govt urges India to extradite Sheikh Hasina, her aide

Ahead of polls, Hasina announces to build 560 model mosques, Islamic university in B’desh
November 17, 2025

Dhaka: Bangladesh's interim government on Monday urged India to immediately extradite deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina and her former home...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Congregational prayers held in major mosques, shrines first time since lockdown

Adhering strictly to the health guidelines...

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.