• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Omar breaks his silence on abrogation of Article 370: Says will not contest assembly elections as long as J&K remains a UT

Images Monitoring Desk by Images Monitoring Desk
July 27, 2020
in Latest News
A A
0
Guv assurances OK, but we want statement in Parl: Omar

Photo-Javed Khan/ KI

FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Srinagar: Former Chief Minister of erstwhile J&K state and vice president of the Jammu and Kashmir National Conference Omar Abdullah broke his silence, almost a year after abrogation of Article 370 by Narendra Modi-led government, saying “while J&K remains a Union Territory I will not be contesting any Assembly elections”.

“We, in the J&K National Conference, do not agree with what has been done to J&K nor do we accept what has been done. We shall oppose this, our opposition will continue in the highest court in the land in the form of the legal challenge filed in the Supreme Court last year. We have always believed in democracy and peaceful opposition,” Omar wrote for the Indian Express newspaper.

More News

Meghwal hints at early decision on J&K statehood issue

Justice delayed is justice denied: CM Omar

BJP’s MLA says will withdraw remarks if found against any community

Load More

“Sadly these very democratic rights were trampled on a year ago. Dozens of mainstream politicians were placed in “preventive arrest” and many more under illegal house arrest. In fact, a number of these leaders are still under illegal detention a year later. The National Conference has lost thousands of workers and office-bearers to militant violence because of our choice to remain a mainstream political party while opposing the separatist politics that grew in the late 1980s. Given the orchestrated campaign against mainstream political parties in most of the national media, particularly at the hands of the ruling dispensation, it’s easy to find oneself asking whether the sacrifices were worth it,” he wrote for the newspaper.

“As for me, I am very clear that while J&K remains a Union Territory I will not be contesting any Assembly elections. Having been a member of the most empowered Assembly in the land and that, too, as the leader of that Assembly for six years, I simply cannot and will not be a member of a House that has been disempowered the way ours has. With almost all of my senior colleagues still detained in their homes, the NC is yet to meet to decide its next political course of action and I will work diligently to strengthen the party, carry forward its agenda and continue to represent the aspirations of the people while we fight against the injustices heaped on J&K in the last one year,” he said.

Previous Post

Double story residential house gutted by fire in Sopore

Next Post

Covid-19 claims 7 more lives in J&K

Images Monitoring Desk

Images Monitoring Desk

Related Posts

Meghwal hints at early decision on J&K statehood issue

Minister Meghwal pitches for mechanism to prioritise court cases involving defence personnel
February 17, 2026

Srinagar: Union Minister of State (I/C) for Law and Justice, Arjun Ram Meghwal, on Tuesday said that Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Justice delayed is justice denied: CM Omar

IWT caused long-term harm to J&K, suspension will restore water rights: CM Omar Abdullah
February 17, 2026

Srinagar: Underscoring the critical role of Tele-Law in easing pressure on courts and ensuring timely justice, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah...

Read moreDetails

BJP’s MLA says will withdraw remarks if found against any community

BJP MLA says people from Kashmir valley encroaching upon land in Jammu, triggers uproar in House
February 17, 2026

Jammu: BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa on Tuesday said that he would retract his words if he had made remarks against...

Read moreDetails

Over 17.27 lakh kanals of state land encroached in J&K, 14.29 lakh recovered: Govt informs house

J&K Assembly approves demand for grants of Rs 1,69,2 crore for six departments
February 17, 2026

Srinagar: The Government on Tuesday informed the House that over 17.27 lakh kanals of state land have been encroached across...

Read moreDetails

Remarks of BJP MLA against Kashmiris echo in House

Uproar in Assembly over CM’s remarks for 2nd consecutive day
February 17, 2026

Jammu: MLA Langate Sheikh Khursheed Ahmad on Tuesday raised the issue of remarks made by BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa, who...

Read moreDetails

DPR for Sadhna tunnel in Kupwara underway, Govt tells house

AC extends Amnesty Scheme-2022 for domestic consumers of electricity till March 2025
February 17, 2026

Srinagar: The Government of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday informed the House that the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
With more Covid-19 related deaths, toll in J&K reaches 160

Covid-19 claims 7 more lives in J&K

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.