• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

2G case: HC refuses early hearing on CBI’s appeal challenging acquittal of A Raja, others

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
July 31, 2019
in NATION
A A
0
Batamallo murder case: Court directs prosecution to produce witness
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, Jul 30:  The Delhi High Court on Tuesday refused to grant early hearing on the CBI’s appeal challenging the acquittal of former Union telecom minister A Raja and others in the 2G spectrum allocation scam case.

The court was hearing the CBI’s plea seeking to prepone the date of hearing from October 24 in its appeal against the acquittal of all the accused.

More News

India joins over 100 countries in condemning Israel’s ‘unilateral’ decisions in West Bank

India likely to join US-led strategic alliance ‘Pax Silica’ on Friday

‘Sheer hypocrisy’: Cong slams govt for joining ‘late’ countries condemning Israel’s West Bank action

Load More

Justice A K Chawla said the matter would be heard on the date already fixed and added that it would be expected of all the parties to join the hearing.

Additional Solicitor General Sanjay Jain, representing the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), submitted that early hearing was needed as the country was on the verge of facing a huge amount of arbitration under bilateral investment treaties.

The application was opposed by the counsel for the accused.

A special court had on December 21, 2017 acquitted Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and others in CBI and ED cases related to the scam.

It had acquitted 17 others, including DMK supremo M Karunanidhi’s wife Dayalu Ammal, Vinod Goenka, Asif Balwa, film producer Karim Morani, P Amirtham and Sharad Kumar, Director of Kalaignar TV in the ED case.

On the same day, the trial court had also acquitted former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja’s erstwhile private secretary R K Chandolia, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra and three top executives of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (RADAG) — Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair, in the CBI’s 2G case.

Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka and directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal were also acquitted in the CBI case.

On March 19 last year, the ED had approached the high court challenging the special court’s order acquitting all the accused.

A day later, the CBI too had challenged in the high court the acquittal of the accused in the case.

The ED, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Rs 200 crore was paid by STPL promoters to DMK-run Kalaignar TV.

The CBI had alleged that there was a loss of Rs 30,984 crore to the exchequer in allocation of licences for the 2G spectrum which were scrapped by the top court on February 2, 2012.

Special Judge O P Saini, however, had held that the prosecution had “miserably failed” to prove the charges.

The special court, which was set up on March 14, 2011 for hearing 2G cases exclusively, had also acquitted Essar Group promoters Ravi Kant Ruia and Anshuman Ruia and six others in a separate case arising out of the 2G scam probe.

In the CBI case, Raja, Kanimozhi and 15 others were tried under provisions of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act dealing with offences of criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery, using as genuine fake documents, abusing official position, criminal misconduct by public servant and taking bribe.

Previous Post

Mumbai Press Club agrees for a tie-up with Kashmir Press Club

Next Post

China says ‘most’ inmates in Xinjiang camps are out

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

India joins over 100 countries in condemning Israel’s ‘unilateral’ decisions in West Bank

India joins over 100 countries in condemning Israel’s ‘unilateral’ decisions in West Bank
February 19, 2026

United Nations: India has joined over 100 countries and global organisations in condemning Israel's "unilateral" decisions and measures aimed at...

Read moreDetails

India likely to join US-led strategic alliance ‘Pax Silica’ on Friday

Defence deals boost India-US ties, new era in relations, say experts
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: India is likely to formally join a US-led strategic alliance, known as 'Pax Silica', which is aimed at...

Read moreDetails

‘Sheer hypocrisy’: Cong slams govt for joining ‘late’ countries condemning Israel’s West Bank action

8 oppn-ruled states demand mechanism to ensure GST rate cut benefits get passed on to consumers
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday took a swipe at the government over India reportedly joining "late" the list of...

Read moreDetails

PM Modi meets president of Spain, PM of Finland; says India-EU FTA ushers in golden era

PM Modi meets president of Spain, PM of Finland; says India-EU FTA ushers in golden era
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday held separate meetings with President of Spain Pedro Sanchez and Prime Minister...

Read moreDetails

Stones pelted, tear gas shells fired as farmers’ protest in Bathinda turns violent

Stones pelted, tear gas shells fired as farmers’ protest in Bathinda turns violent
February 19, 2026

Bathinda/Patiala:  Police on Wednesday lobbed tear gas shells to control a group of farmers after they allegedly pelted stones at...

Read moreDetails

TMC set to win 4 Rajya Sabha seats in Bengal, BJP 1; Left to lose representation

Saloora, Wani join PDP along with hundreds of supporters
February 19, 2026

Kolkata:  With numbers firmly stacked in its favour, the ruling TMC is set to win four of the five Rajya...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
China welcomes release of IAF pilot; calls for more terrorism cooperation between India, Pak

China says 'most' inmates in Xinjiang camps are out

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.