• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Death toll climbs to 359 in Sri Lanka bombings: police

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
April 24, 2019
in Latest News
A A
0
Curfew lifted a day after Sri Lanka rocked with multiple blasts
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

COLOMBO: The death toll in Sri Lanka’s Easter Sunday bomb attacks has risen to 359, police said on Wednesday amidst nationwide search operations to nab the perpetrators of the country’s worst terror attack.

Several people were arrested in connection with the attacks on Tuesday, Police spokesman Ruwan Guansekera said.

More News

Infiltration bid foiled along LoC in Rajouri: Army

Soldier shoots self dead at Army camp in Jammu

J&K among 22 states, UTs asks by EC to prepare for next phase of SIR in April

Load More

“The number of death now is 359,” Guansekera said.

The Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the devastating Easter blasts in Sri Lanka and identified the suicide bombers who were involved in the attacks.

Seven suicide bombers carried out a series of devastating blasts that tore through churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, in the country’s worst terror attack.

Gunasekera said that the search operations were carried out during Tuesday night’s curfew hours in different parts of the country.

Police arrested scores of people with their suspected links to the National Thowheeth Jamath, the group which officials beleive carried out the bombings.

Over 10 people have been arrested from the Muslim minority concentrated areas of Aluthgama and Beruwela, south of Colombo, police said. Further six were arrested at Katuwapitiya in the western coastal area where the bombed St Sebastian’s Church is located.

Giving information on the suicide bombers, the police said that the attacks at the Cinnamon Grand and Shangri La Hotels had been carried out by two brothers.

The Cinnamon Grand Hotel bomber had booked himself into the hotel on the previous night. CCTV footages have shown his breakfast table where he was seen consuming pieces of fruit and taking a walk around the restaurant before exploding himself.

Their younger brother has also been nabbed by the police. The house search had led to the discovery of extremist literature, a computer hard disk and SIM cards, thought to have been used to coordinate the blasts.

The police has already arrested the accomplices of the bomber of the lodging house near the National Zoo at the Colombo suburb of Dehiwela.

The tuk tuk taxi driver who had taken him to the lodge was also arrested, the police said.

The police suspected the bomber may have been targeting the nearby St Mary’s Church where a large gathering was present at the Easter Sunday mass.

However, the presence of police at the church, who were there due to a previous break into the church by thieves, had prevented the bomber’s entry into the church, officials said.

Speaker Karu Jayasuriya said Parliament would meet on Wednesday to debate the security situation in the country in the aftermath of the blasts.

The emergency regulations which were announced by President Maithripala Sirisena would be presented for Parliament’s ratification.

The emergency powers allow the security forces to launch crackdown on law and order breaches by sudden searches of property, arrests and detention of people indefinitely.

Jayasuriya told Parliament on Tuesday that the security of Parliament has to be stepped-up as warnings were receive on possible threats.

Sirisena, in his national address on Tuesday night, said the emergency regulations would only deal with counter terrorism measures and would in no way hamper the democratic and civil freedoms.

The Ministry of Education said the reopening of schools had been put off till April 29.

Previous Post

Five shops gutted in Sopore fire mishap

Next Post

More civilians now killed by US, Afghan forces than by insurgents: UN

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Infiltration bid foiled along LoC in Rajouri: Army

Maj Gen A P S Bal takes over as GOC of Delta force
February 20, 2026

Jammu, Feb 19: An infiltration attempt by terrorists was scuttled by troops of the Indian Army along the Line of...

Read moreDetails

Soldier shoots self dead at Army camp in Jammu

Army man shoots self dead
February 20, 2026

  Jammu: A soldier allegedly shot himself dead with his service rifle at an Army camp here, officials said on...

Read moreDetails

J&K among 22 states, UTs asks by EC to prepare for next phase of SIR in April

Nomination of 35 candidates rejected for first phase of J&K Assembly polls
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Election Commission on Thursday asked 22 states and Union Territories to complete preparatory work related to the...

Read moreDetails

Man from Pulwama posing as NIA officer to dupe job-seekers held from Red Fort area

CBI, ED, police don’t arrest people through video calls: Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  A man from Jammu and Kashmir was apprehended by Delhi Police near Red Fort for allegedly posing as...

Read moreDetails

Ramadan moon sighted in J&K: Grand Mufti

Ramzan to begin on March 2 across J&K: Mufti Nasir-ul-Islam
February 18, 2026

Srinagar: The first fast of the holy month of Ramadan will be observed in Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday, as...

Read moreDetails

LG Manoj Sinha, CM Omar Abdullah hail J&K’s historic entry into Ranji Trophy final

J&K leaders grieve plane crash deaths
February 18, 2026

Srinagar: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday extended their congratulations to the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
More civilians now killed by US, Afghan forces than by insurgents: UN

More civilians now killed by US, Afghan forces than by insurgents: UN

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.