• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Monday, February 23, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home NATION

Rafale case: Govt tells SC documents related to deal stolen from Defence Ministry

Press Trust of india by Press Trust of india
March 7, 2019
in NATION
A A
0
Rafale case: Govt tells SC documents related to deal stolen from Defence Ministry
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

New Delhi, Mar 6 :  The government on Wednesday told the Supreme Court that documents related to the Rafale aircraft deal have been stolen from the Defence Ministry and threatened The Hindu newspaper with the Official Secrets Act for publishing articles based on them.

Those who put documents on the Rafale deal in the public domain are guilty under the Official Secrets Act and contempt of court, Attorney General K K Venugopal said before a three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi.

More News

Cong turned AI Summit into arena for its ‘gandi aur nangi’ politics: PM Modi

FIR against Swami Avimukteshwaranand under POCSO Act

Kerala Story 2 propaganda film aimed at polarisation: John Brittas

Load More

An investigation into the theft is on, the attorney general said on a day the newspaper published another article on the fighter jet deal.

The bench, also including Justices S K Kaul and K M Joseph, was hearing a batch of petitions seeking a review of its December 14 verdict dismissing all the pleas against the deal procured by India from France.

Former Union ministers Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie and advocate Prashant Bhushan, who had jointly filed a petition, alleged that the Centre suppressed crucial facts when the apex court decided to dismiss the batch of PILs against the Rafale deal in December.

When Bhushan referred to an article written by senior journalist N Ram in The Hindu, Venugopal said the write-ups were based on stolen documents.

An FIR has not been registered so far into the theft of documents pertaining to Rafale deal, he added.

He said the first write-up by Ram appeared in The Hindu on February 8 and Wednesday’s edition had another article aimed at influencing the court’s proceedings. This amounted to contempt of court, he said.

The newspaper published the documents by omitting the word ‘secret’ on top, he said, seeking a dismissal of the review petitions and raising objections to Bhushan’s arguments based on the The Hindu’s articles.

The bench sought to know from the Centre what it has done when it alleges that the stories are based on stolen material.

Advancing his arguments on behalf of Sinha, Shourie and himself, Bhushan said said the top court would not have dismissed the plea for an FIR and probe had critical facts not been suppressed.

Venugopal said the documents relied upon by Bhushan were stolen from the Defence Ministry and an investigation into the matter was underway.

At this point, the chief justice said hearing Bhushan did not mean the top court was taking on record the documents on the Rafale deal.

He also asked Venugopal to tell the court what action had been taken on theft of documents on the aircraft deal.

The AG submitted that the documents on the deal relied on by the petitioners were marked secret and classified and are therefore in violation of the Official Secrets Act.

The attorney general also told the Supreme Court that the Rafale case pertains to defence procurement which cannot be reviewed judicially.

Referring to the aerial combat with Pakistan last week, he said the country needs the Rafale jet to defend itself “from F-16 fighter planes that recently bombed us”.

“Without Rafale how can we resist them,” he said, adding that two squadrons of Rafale fighter jets are coming in flyaway condition. The first one will be in September this year,  Venugopal said.

Previous Post

Chidambaram attacks govt on issue of unemployment

Next Post

US ‘very closely’ following reports of F-16 misuse by Pakistan: State Dept

Press Trust of india

Press Trust of india

Related Posts

Cong turned AI Summit into arena for its ‘gandi aur nangi’ politics: PM Modi

Ease of justice must for all, language of law should be local, simple: PM Modi
February 22, 2026

Meerut (UP): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday came down heavily on the Congress over its "shirtless" protest at the...

Read moreDetails

FIR against Swami Avimukteshwaranand under POCSO Act

Tampering with smart meters: Govt mulls to lodge FIR against 272 consumers in Sgr
February 22, 2026

Lucknow (UP):  An FIR was lodged in Prayagraj against Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati and his disciple Mukundanand Brahmachari over allegations of...

Read moreDetails

Kerala Story 2 propaganda film aimed at polarisation: John Brittas

Kerala Story 2 propaganda film aimed at polarisation: John Brittas
February 22, 2026

New Delhi:  The Kerala Story 2 is a "propaganda" movie aimed at creating polarisation ahead of the upcoming Assembly elections...

Read moreDetails

Modi-Lula talks: India, Brazil set USD 20-billion annual trade target, sign critical minerals pact

Modi-Lula talks: India, Brazil set USD 20-billion annual trade target, sign critical minerals pact
February 21, 2026

New Delhi:  India and Brazil on Saturday set an annual bilateral trade target of USD 20 billion in the next...

Read moreDetails

Infiltrators to be removed not only from electoral rolls but also from country in next 5 years: Shah

Culprits involved in JK terror attack won’t be spared, says Amit Shah
February 21, 2026

Guwahati: Asserting that if India can be free of Naxals, it can also be free of infiltrators, Union Home Minister...

Read moreDetails

Shirtless protest: Court sends arrested IYC workers to 5-day police custody

City court convicts 2 persons in acid attack case
February 21, 2026

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Saturday sent the four Indian Youth Congress (IYC) workers, who were arrested for protesting...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
US ‘very closely’ following reports of F-16 misuse by Pakistan: State Dept

US 'very closely' following reports of F-16 misuse by Pakistan: State Dept

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.