• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD

 Afghan forces resume offensive operations after govt ceasefire ends

A FP by A FP
July 1, 2018
in WORLD
A A
0
 Afghan forces resume offensive operations after govt ceasefire ends
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Kabul, Jun 30:  Afghan security forces resumed offensive operations today after President Ashraf Ghani declared an end to the government’s unilateral ceasefire with the Taliban.

Ghani said the ceasefire, which lasted 18 days after it was extended once and overlapped with the Taliban’s unilateral three-day truce for Eid, had been “98 percent successful”.

More News

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

  Trump okays bill that could impose high tariffs on China, India for buying Russian oil: Senator

Load More

“The ceasefire is over. The Afghan security and defence forces are allowed to restart their military operations,” Ghani told reporters.

The three days of no fighting were unprecedented in the nearly 17-year conflict and triggered jubilant scenes across the war-weary country.

Taliban fighters and security forces spontaneously celebrated the holiday that caps the holy month of Ramadan, hugging each other and taking selfies.

The militants were also mobbed by relieved civilians, who have borne the brunt of the war, raising hopes of a renewed push for peace talks.

Ghani said the ceasefire had shown that the majority of the insurgents wanted peace and it was the “Taliban’s turn to give a positive response”.

“I am ready to extend the ceasefire anytime when the Taliban are ready,” he said at a press conference.

But the sight of its fighters openly mingling with security forces and civilians over Eid appeared to alarm the Taliban’s leaders, who on Sunday ordered their men back to their posts.

The Taliban vowed Tuesday to continue their bloody fight against the government and their foreign backers, brushing aside rising civilian casualties.

The insurgents returned to the battlefield last week after refusing a government request to extend their ceasefire, launching attacks across the country that have seen scores killed or injured.

The renewed violence has poured cold water on hopes the truce would provide a clear path to peace talks, with the Taliban refusing to bow to pressure to lay down their arms until foreign forces withdraw from Afghanistan.

The truces did not extend to the Islamic State group, which has a relatively small but potent presence in Afghanistan, and launched two deadly attacks on ceasefire revellers during Eid.

Previous Post

Cartoon

Next Post

Pak special court to resume trial in Musharraf’s treason case early next month

A FP

A FP

Related Posts

India’s permanent contribution to agenda of world community is of enormous importance for us: Guterres

UN says violence against children in conflict reached extreme levels in 2023, including in Gaza
February 17, 2026

United Nations:  India's permanent contribution to the agenda of the international community and that of the UN is of "enormous...

Read moreDetails

Jaishankar reiterates India’s support for UNSC reform during meeting with G7 counterparts in Germany

Those enjoying benefits of permanent membership clearly not in hurry to see UN reforms: Jaishankar
February 14, 2026

Munich: External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Saturday met his counterparts from the G7 countries as he reiterated India’s support...

Read moreDetails

  Trump okays bill that could impose high tariffs on China, India for buying Russian oil: Senator

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
January 8, 2026

New York/Washington:  US President Donald Trump has "greenlit" a sanctions bill that could impose 500 per cent tariffs on countries...

Read moreDetails

We are all thinking of you: New York City Mayor Mamdani writes a note for activist Umar Khalid

NC & PDP hail Zohran Mamdani’s victory in New York City mayoral poll
January 2, 2026

New York: New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani has written a note for activist Umar Khalid, recalling his words on...

Read moreDetails

Trump signs into law defence policy bill backing deeper engagement with India including via Quad

Sweeping Trump tariffs draw dismay, calls for talks from countries around globe
December 19, 2025

New York/Washington:  US President Donald Trump has signed into law an annual defence policy bill that highlights broadening America's engagement...

Read moreDetails

Bangladesh’s interim govt urges India to extradite Sheikh Hasina, her aide

Ahead of polls, Hasina announces to build 560 model mosques, Islamic university in B’desh
November 17, 2025

Dhaka: Bangladesh's interim government on Monday urged India to immediately extradite deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina and her former home...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Musharraf says SC’s arrest order forced him to change plans to return to Pak

Pak special court to resume trial in Musharraf's treason case early next month

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.