• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Friday, February 20, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

At least 20 dead in Afghanistan suicide attack during ceasefire

AFP/ PTI by AFP/ PTI
June 17, 2018
in Latest News
A A
0
At least 20 dead in Afghanistan suicide attack during ceasefire
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Jalalabad, Jun 16:  A suicide bomber blew himself up in a crowd of Afghan Taliban, security forces, and civilians celebrating an unprecedented ceasefire in the war-torn country today, killing at least 20 people, officials said.

The attack came as President Ashraf Ghani announced an extension of the government’s week-long ceasefire with the militant group after both sides agreed to halt hostilities for Eid.

More News

CM Omar says Kishtwar DC issued directive on religious leaders request

62 of 65 AMRUT schemes under execution in J&K: Govt informs House

Infiltration bid foiled along LoC in Rajouri: Army

Load More

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast that also wounded at least 16 others marking the suspension of fighting in Rodat district of Nangarhar province, but an Afghan security source told AFP that the Islamic State group was to blame.

“A suicide bomber detonated among people, security forces and Taliban who were celebrating the ceasefire,” provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP.

He said at least 20 people had been killed and 16 others wounded. Provincial health director Najibullah Kamawal confirmed the death toll but said 25 wounded had been taken to hospital.

Ghani made his announcement in a rare televised address to the nation, in which he also asked the Taliban to extend their three-day ceasefire which is due to end tomorrow.

“I order the security forces to remain on their defensive positions,” Ghani said, adding details of the extension would be released later.

The government’s ceasefire, which was due to end on Tuesday, did not include the IS.

On the first two days of Eid, Taliban fighters, Afghan security forces and civilians hugged and took selfies with each other across the country, in an outpouring of emotion over the ceasefire.

In the contested district of Bati Kot in Nangarhar, Taliban fighters carrying assault weapons and rocket-propelled grenade launchers travelled by car and motorbike, waving Afghan and Taliban flags.

Afghan forces manning checkpoints offered Eid greetings to the fighters, embracing and posing for photos with the same people they are usually trying to kill — a scene that would have been unthinkable only a few days ago.

Villagers also flocked around the insurgents, hugging them and happily taking selfies with the heavily armed fighters as they celebrated the Muslim holiday capping the holy month of Ramadan.

“I am here to offer greetings to our brothers in the police and army,” Taliban commander Baba told AFP.

“We have held the ceasefire well so far. Everyone is tired of war and if our leaders order us to continue the ceasefire, we will hold it forever.”

The Taliban announced a ceasefire for the first three days of Eid, which started yesterday, promising not to attack Afghan security forces for the first time since the 2001 US invasion. They said they would continue attacking US-led NATO troops.

That came after Ghani announced that police and troops would cease operations against the Taliban for eight days, starting last Tuesday — though he warned that operations against other militants, including IS, would continue.

Bati Kot is on the highway connecting the Nangarhar provincial capital of Jalalabad with Torkham, one of the major border crossings into Pakistan, which has long been accused of supporting the Taliban and providing safe haven to its leaders, charges it denies.

Afghans shared photos on social media purportedly showing Taliban fighters around the country gathering with security forces and locals for the holiday.

The bizarre images served as powerful propaganda for both sides and have fanned hopes among war-weary Afghans for the ceasefire to continue.

“Look, they are brothers. If their leaders come, sit and talk just like their soldiers we will have peace tomorrow,” Said Hasibullah posted on Facebook under a photo purportedly showing a Taliban fighter and Afghan soldier having a cup of tea together.

The Taliban had “exploited” the opportunity to show their popularity among ordinary Afghans, a Western diplomat in Kabul told AFP. “(That’s) no bad thing if they are able to see the benefits of talking not fighting,” he said.

The unusual bonhomie between the two sides came as Ghani confirmed that Pakistani Taliban chief Maulana Fazlullah had been killed in a US drone strike.

Previous Post

Mushtaq ul Hassan bereaved

Next Post

Two persons injured after fired upon by unknown gunmen

AFP/ PTI

AFP/ PTI

Related Posts

CM Omar says Kishtwar DC issued directive on religious leaders request

J&K Assembly passes grants for departments under CM after a two-day debate
February 20, 2026

Jammu: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday told the J&K Legislative Assembly that the Deputy Commissioner of Kishtwar issued the...

Read moreDetails

62 of 65 AMRUT schemes under execution in J&K: Govt informs House

J&K’s debt at Rs 1.37 lakh cr for FY25 to be offset by increased GSDP: CM Abdullah
February 20, 2026

Srinagar: The government on Friday informed the House that 65 Water Supply Schemes have been sanctioned for the Union Territory...

Read moreDetails

Infiltration bid foiled along LoC in Rajouri: Army

Maj Gen A P S Bal takes over as GOC of Delta force
February 20, 2026

Jammu, Feb 19: An infiltration attempt by terrorists was scuttled by troops of the Indian Army along the Line of...

Read moreDetails

Soldier shoots self dead at Army camp in Jammu

Army man shoots self dead
February 20, 2026

  Jammu: A soldier allegedly shot himself dead with his service rifle at an Army camp here, officials said on...

Read moreDetails

J&K among 22 states, UTs asks by EC to prepare for next phase of SIR in April

Nomination of 35 candidates rejected for first phase of J&K Assembly polls
February 19, 2026

New Delhi: The Election Commission on Thursday asked 22 states and Union Territories to complete preparatory work related to the...

Read moreDetails

Man from Pulwama posing as NIA officer to dupe job-seekers held from Red Fort area

CBI, ED, police don’t arrest people through video calls: Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre
February 19, 2026

New Delhi:  A man from Jammu and Kashmir was apprehended by Delhi Police near Red Fort for allegedly posing as...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
SPO killed, wife critically injured

Two persons injured after fired upon by unknown gunmen

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.