• About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, February 21, 2026
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
Epaper
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER
No Result
View All Result
Kashmir Images - Latest News Update
No Result
View All Result
Home SPORTS

Federer to lose No. 1 ranking after shock loss to Kokkinakis

A FP by A FP
March 26, 2018
in SPORTS
A A
0
FacebookTwitterWhatsapp

Miami, Mar 25 : Roger Federer’s latest reign atop the world rankings will end after the Swiss great’s shock loss to Australian qualifier Thanasi Kokkinakis in the second round of the Miami Masters.

Kokkinakis, ranked 175th in the world, needed a wild card just to get into qualifying. But he showed nerves of steel in a 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7/4) triumph over 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer.

More News

Organisers of Winter Games made clean energy a priority, here’s how they did it

Radha Yadav’s all-round brilliance takes India A to Women’s Rising Stars Asia Cup final

Chinar Open Winter Games 2026 conclude in Gulmarg, 660 youth participate

Load More

“I was calmer than I thought,” Kokkinakis said of the third-set tiebreaker. “Inside I was pretty happy, I was excited, but I kept pretty calm.”

Federer, who won his 20th Grand Slam crown at the Australian Open, regained the number one spot in February after winning the ATP title in Rotterdam but needed to reach the quarter-finals to remain at the summit.

Instead he’ll be replaced by Spain’s Rafael Nadal when the rankings are released at the end of the tournament.

“I deserve it after this match. That’s how I feel. Just so bad,” said Federer, adding that he “could never get to any level that I was happy with today”.

“Sometimes you have these matches,” he said. “Sometimes you find a way through. I just couldn’t get it done today.”

The 36-year-old wasted no time in announcing he’ll skip the clay-court season, including the French Open, just as he did last year after winning titles in Indian Wells and Miami.

The 21-year-old Kokkinakis, who has already battled injuries in his young career, became the lowest-ranked player to beat a world number one since Spain’s Francisco Clavet was 178th when he upset top-ranked Lleyton Hewitt in the second round at Miami in 2003.

Previous Post

Ganga reiterates govt’s commitment for equitable development of all regions

Next Post

Facebook apologises for data scandal in UK newspaper ads

A FP

A FP

Related Posts

Organisers of Winter Games made clean energy a priority, here’s how they did it

Organisers of Winter Games made clean energy a priority, here’s how they did it
February 20, 2026

CORTINA D’AMPEZZO, Italy:  It takes an immense amount of energy to power venues and make snow for the Winter Olympics...

Read moreDetails

Radha Yadav’s all-round brilliance takes India A to Women’s Rising Stars Asia Cup final

Radha Yadav’s all-round brilliance takes India A to Women’s Rising Stars Asia Cup final
February 20, 2026

Bangkok: Skipper Radha Yadav produced an excellent all-round effort to power India A into the final of the Women's Rising...

Read moreDetails

Chinar Open Winter Games 2026 conclude in Gulmarg, 660 youth participate

February 20, 2026

Srinagar: The Chinar Open Winter Games 2026, a flagship initiative of the Indian Army, concluded successfully at the snow-covered slopes...

Read moreDetails

Bennett, Raza power Zimbabwe to 6-wicket win over Sri Lanka

Bennett, Raza power Zimbabwe to 6-wicket win over Sri Lanka
February 19, 2026

Colombo:  Brian Bennett’s measured fifty and Sikandar Raza’s raw power propelled Zimbabwe to a facile six-wicket win over a fancied...

Read moreDetails

  West Indies brush aside Italy by 42 runs to sign off group stage on high note

Hetmyer fifty, Shepherd five-for power Windies to easy win over Scotland
February 19, 2026

Kolkata: Skipper Shai Hope's second consecutive fifty and a disciplined performance by bowlers powered West Indies to a comfortable 42-run...

Read moreDetails

India need to tackle top-order predictability and finger spin struggles going into Super8s

February 19, 2026

Ahmedabad:  India's assistant coach Ryan ten Doeschate has acknowledged two pressing issues facing the team heading into the Super 8s...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Facebook apologises for data scandal in UK newspaper ads

  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Our team
  • Terms of Service
E-Mailus: kashmirimages123@gmail.com

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • TOP NEWS
  • CITY & TOWNS
  • LOCAL
  • BUSINESS
  • NATION
  • WORLD
  • SPORTS
  • OPINION
    • EDITORIAL
    • ON HERITAGE
    • CREATIVE BEATS
    • INTERALIA
    • WIDE ANGLE
    • OTHER VIEW
    • ART SPACE
  • Photo Gallery
  • CARTOON
  • EPAPER

© 2025 Kashmir Images - Designed by GITS.