Separatists call for shutdown against Bukhari, civilian killings on Thursday
Srinagar, Jun 19: Separatist leaders have called for a complete shutdown in Kashmir Thursday against the killings of journalist Shujaat Bukhari, and civilians in the past few days.
The separatist trio of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik, who together form the “ Joint Resistance Leadership”, said in a statement today that there had been a sudden spike in civilian killings since the eve of Eid. It also demanded an international probe into Bukhari’s killing.
“Joint Resistance Leadership has called for a complete strike tomorrow (Wednesday, June 20) )against the continued civilian killings in the valley, which has witnessed a sudden spike since the eve of Eid… three young boys have been brutally gunned down by the Indian forces while the fourth is struggling for life at SKIMS,” the statement said.
However, later they postponed the strike by a day – calling that it be observed on Thursday (June 21) instead, as Kashmiri Pandits are observing Mela Khir Bhavani on Wednesday.
They said the strike will also be observed against the brutal killing of Bukhari, who was shot dead along with his two personal guards outside his office on June 14 by unknown gunmen.
“JRL demands an international probe into this gruesome murder,” a JRL spokesperson said in the statement.
He said “cordon and search operations had returned with a vengeance to the villages as people were being severely beaten and harassed and used as human shields.”