‘Stone pelting down since ops suspended’
New Delhi, May 24 : Stone pelting incidents in Jammu and Kashmir have come down since the Centre announced suspension of operations by government forces a week ago, an official said today, citing an assessment by security agencies.
According to available data, there were just 16 incidents of stone pelting in Kashmir Valley between May 16-23 in comparison to 38 such cases in May 8-15 period.
The stone pelting incidents from May 16 to 23 were reported in Srinagar (7), Anantnag (3), Budgam (2), Shopian (2), Bandipore (1) and Baramulla (1).
The 38 cases of stone pelting from May 8 to 15 were in Srinagar (13), Shopian (8), Pulwama (6), Kupwara (4), Anantnag (2), Bandipore (2), Budgam (2), and Ganderbal (1).
Jammu and Kashmir police chief S P Vaid has also said that the “Ramazan ceasefire” has been successful thus far.
“The initiative of Hon’ble PM has helped in general improvement in law & order. The situation especially in south Kashmir has eased & is serving as confidence Building Measure for families who want their boys to return back home (sic),” the state’s DGP said on Twitter.
The Home Ministry announced on May 16 that security forces will not launch any operations in Jammu and Kashmir during the holy month of Ramazan.
The decision had been taken to help peace loving Muslims observe Ramazan in a peaceful environment, a Home Ministry spokesperson had said.
The ministry said the security forces, however, reserve the right to retaliate if attacked or if essential to protect the lives of innocent people.